Friday, August 3, 2012

Improving Fedora Font Rendering Part II

A while back I blogged about font rendering in Fedora. At that time I had settled on using the Infinality font patches. That post is one of the most frequently viewed posts on my blog, and as a result of a recent discovery, I felt I needed to follow up with a second post.

I ran into an interesting situation. I noticed that I had to launch Konsole twice to get my fonts to render correctly. The first time I would launch, it would look like this:


I could close and reopen Konsole, and I would then get better rendering such as this:


Thinking this could be a KDE problem since I was running KDE Unstable, I decided to pose my question on the fedora-kde mailing list. Several folks suggested removing the Infinality patches, and pointed out a few problems with them. I did so, and installed freetype-freeworld from RPM Fusion and now, my fonts look (to me) even better than they did with the Infinality patches:


Here is how my fonts are configured within KDE as well:




This also cured the issue I was having specifically with Konsole.

4 comments:

  1. I always use freetype-freeworld and put a file named .Xresources in my home directory with following content:

    Xft.autohint: 0
    Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
    Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
    Xft.hinting: 1
    Xft.antialias: 1
    Xft.dpi: 96
    Xft.rgba: rgb

    this way the font rendering looks great, like ubuntu font rendering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Rafael, I tried that but I preferred the rendering with the setup from the post on my KDE machine, but it works nicely on my Xfce box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just don't like the look of the fonts in fedora, fedora is one of the best distros I like but the font rendering is just not letting me use it on my laptop, I don't know my eyes seem to hurt, I don't know how Ubuntu has made them so good and so smooth for my eyes I just wish I could use the fonts and the font rendering from Ubuntu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had pretty good luck following these instructions: http://www.infinality.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77

    ReplyDelete